Having a garden in the backyard or a small in front of the house is a great feeling. It not only shows our gratitude towards mother nature but also helps our eyes and mind feel relaxed.
And what is more cheerful than watching the kid playing in the garden with pets and their friends. However, having a garden is not an easy thing to do.
The garden and the lawn need time to build and maintained. And the one thing that can ruin all your hard work in designing the garden from scratch is the weed.
Weeds, in simplest terms, are those shrubs, grass that isn’t planted intentionally. They can grow in your lawn, garden or walkthrough in your home.
And if you are having weeds at home garden, then they can harm in two ways. One, it will attract the insects and bees to your garden which can ruin the flowering plants and makes it tough for you to spend time in the garden in the evenings, and the other is a major setback that the weeds cause is they affect the growth of the normal plants as they use the nutrients from the soil to nurture themselves.
So, whether you are planning to have a garden in the backyard, or recently have developed a garden, we will suggest you think about a full-proof way to get rid of the weeds so that you can enjoy spending time in the garden/lawn without any issue with the growth of plants.
Although there are several weed killers available in the market and most of them are quite effective in reducing the weed occurrence in the garden.
But one thing that you should be aware of is they all contain harmful chemicals and can also affect the other plants in your garden and are extremely dangerous to use if you have pets and kids at home.
So, is there any safer way that can effectively vanish the weeds and reduce the chances of weed/grass occurrence in the garden?
Well, the answer is YES. There is a simple, yet effective way to get rid of the weeds and enhance the beauty of the garden at the same time.
The way we are talking about there is called the weed barrier. The weed barriers are not only easier to use but also are far safer than the chemical-based weed killers popular in the market.
In this article, we are going to talk in brief about every single thing that you need to know about the weed barriers, their installation, benefits and several other things that you should know as a buyer.
Top 3 Weed Barriers for 2020
Best Weed Barriers Reviews
Now, it is the right time to introduce you to the ten most popular and widely used weed barriers in the market.
They all have great usability and provide the best value for money. So, go through them and choose a perfect one out of them according to your needs and preferences.
#1. American Home and Gardening PPB150 AHG
- Top seller
- This is polypropylene base fabric which should covered by soil dirt or mulch on top.
- Great for light gardening of flower shrubs and under decking. Environmentally friendly.
- Great as a under layer for artificial grass to keep moisture in.
American Home And Gardening PPB 150AHG Premium is an ideal buy for those users who are looking forward to buying a lightweight, easy to use and efficient weed barrier that is efficient and durable enough to be last for at least a year without any issues.
The product easily withstands the sunlight and water and prevents the soil to dry up faster. It blocks the sunlight perfectly and you can be assured that your garden is free from weed after installing this in the garden.
Some of the best points of the American Home Gardening PPB150 AHG are listed below.
- Easy installation
- Lightweight fabric
- Environment-friendly way to get rid of weeds
So, if you were looking for an entry-level, good size weed barrier roll that has the capability of controlling the weed up to a good extent, this product from American Home and Gardening will be an ideal choice for you. Try it, and you are going to be surprised by the efficiency of the product.
#2. AHG Garden Weeds 3ft x 300ft / 20 YR Premium Series Landscape Fabri
- Top Seller
- Country Of Origin: China
- No Assembly Required
- Brand Name: AHG
AHG Garden Weeds Premium Series landscape fabric is for those buyers who are willing to buy a good item to enhance the garden’s beauty and are looking for the best affordable weed barrier for it. Made up of highly durable Polypropylene, this is one of the most reliable weed barriers in the list.
The highly durable construction provides it the adequate durability to last for years without fail. Some of the best and most talked about points about the AHG premium weed barrier are listed below.
Have a look at them and then decide whether you should buy it for your home, or not.
- 300ft roll is more than enough for any garden/lawn
- Highly durable polypropylene for added durability
- Can last up to 20 years without fail
So, if you were looking for a durable, and reliable weed barrier that is extremely easy to install the AHG premium weed barrier will be an ideal buy for you.
#3. Dewitt P3 3-by-250-Foot 5-Ounce Pro 5 Weed Barrier Fabric
- DeWitt Pro-5 Weed-Barrier 3ftx250ft Heaviest weight landscape fabric
- woven needle punch polypropylene fabric
- This product is made in China
- Saves Big on Watering, by conserving the soil's moisture
- Provides complete weed control
Dewitt p3 Pro 5 weed barrier fabric is an ideal choice for the buyers who are looking for a durable weed barrier that can last for at least 10 years.
If installed properly, this weed barrier perfectly blocks the sunlight and is a great way to enhance the overall beauty of the garden without any flaw.
Made up of highly efficient polypropylene fabric with woven needle punch, this is one of the most durable fabric weed barriers available in the market.
Along with the durability, there are several other things that make it a worthy upgrade if you were looking for a more natural way to deal with the weeds. Some of these points are listed as below
- Highly durable fabric made to last for years
- Available in different sizes
- Blocks sunlight perfectly without restricting the water or nutrients to reach the soil
So, if you were looking to buy a reliable weed barrier that is made up of great environment-friendly material and is going to last for years, the Dewitt weed barrier will be an ideal choice to go with.
#4. ECOgardener Premium 5oz Pro Garden Weed Barrier
- DISCOVER THE PROFESSIONAL GARDENING SOLUTION – The ECOgardener ultimate pro weed barrier landscape fabric is here to make your life easier and 100% hassle-free. Designed to provide unparalleled weed control, this premium weed barrier fabric will skyrocket your productivity and efficiency!
- SUPER-EASY TO INSTALL & SET-UP – You don’t have to be an expert or call in expensive professionals in order to set up the elite ECOgardener weed blocking fabric, since it is light enough so that you can carry and cut it and also heavy enough to protect your garden.
- YOUR SOIL HAS VALUE & WE KNOW IT – Our exclusive garden weed control mat is designed to let air and water through, thus conserving your soil’s moisture and preserving its value. The ECOgardener simple and easy gardening solution is going to keep weeds away without blocking air or water.
- WEED BARRIER FABRIC MADE TO LAST – The heavy-duty, durable and sturdy design of the ECOgardener pro landscape weed barrier will provide you with premium weed protection for a very long time. Helping you to reduce chemicals so you can do your part for the environment too!
- 100% SATISFACTION OR YOUR MONEY BACK – We, at ECOgardener, believe that you deserve the most advanced, durable and professional solution for your home garden. That’s why we confidently offer a 30-day, hassle-free, full refund guarantee on our stunning weed barrier fabric!
Ecogardener Premium Garden weed barrier is an ideal buy for the buyers ho are after great value for money and a product that has the ability to last forever.
The lightweight gardening mat is a perfect choice for avoiding the weeds from the garden and has an extremely easy installation procedure. The roll comes in a 100ft size with is a perfect size for better garden management.
Some of the best features of EcoGardener premium garden weed barrier are listed as follows:
- Moneyback Guarantee
- Easy installation
- Heavy-duty, lightweight design
So, if you were looking for a pro-level weed barrier that looks great and performs brilliantly, then this barrier from Ecogardener will be an ideal choice for you. Try your hands on it and you are not going to be disappointed.
#5. Greendale Landscaping Weed Barrier Fabric
- WHAT YOU GET - 3 Large Sheets of Thick Grade yet Porous, Durable 4 foot X 10 foot Landscaping Weed Barrier Fabric. Don't Settle for the Thin Alternatives that Tear and Leave you with a Garden Full of Weeds.
- THE RIGHT SIZE FOR THE RIGHT PRICE - 120 Square Feet of Total Garden Coverage. When you're not Looking to Cover an Entire Farm, GREENDALE has you Covered - Plenty of Premium Quality Fabric for Most Garden Applications.
- PERFECT FOR EVERY GARDEN - UV Stabilized (to prevent degradation) and Permeable to Air and Water, Ecologically Safe Alternative to Chemicals, and Helps Protect Against Soil Erosion. Great for Direct Sunlight and Greenhouses
- EASY TO USE AND MADE TO LAST – Easy to Handle with Stripes for Lining up your Plants or Seeds, Heavy-duty , Durable and Sturdy sheets of GREENDALE Landscape Weed barrier will Provide you with Premium Weed Protection.
- BUY WITH CONFIDENCE - Every GREENDALE product is backed by our 1 year quality guaranty.
For the buyers who are attracted to the usability of the weed barriers but aren’t too keen to buy the big roll for some reason, the weed barrier pack from Greendale would be an ideal buy.
It has three packs of 4×10 ft and is an ideal choice for the buyers with a relatively smaller garden or a kitchen garden.
Instead of having the smaller size packs, you can easily rely on it for quality and efficiency. The brilliantly designed, UV treated weed barriers are the best in class product that you can buy today.
Some of the best features that the Greendale weed barrier fabric are
- UV treated thick fabric that will last for years
- Brilliant design
- Easier to install than most of the products in the list
So, if you were looking for a good option for a relatively smaller garden area or are looking for a more practically designed weed barrier for your home that is going to last for many years without any fail, the Greendale weed barrier will be a great choice for you.
#6. Dewitt SBLT3300 Sunbelt Ground Cover Weed Barrier
- Sunbelt ground cover weed barrier
- UV stabilized and permeable to air and water and a low cost, ecology safe alternative to herbicide use
- Allows air and water to penetrate for worry-free irrigation
- Guaranteed to last five years in direct sunlight; for greenhouse and outdoor use
- Measures 3-feet wide by 300-feet long; and available in 3.2 ounces
Dewitt SBLT3300 Sunbelt Ground cover weed barrier is an ideal buy for the buyers who are looking for an extra-large cover to use in their large backyard garden. The pack has a roll of 3x300ft weed barrier that is just more than enough to be used in the garden.
Unlike the web barriers in the market, this product has markings on it so that you can easily cut the desired amount of weed barrier.
Also, if you are after a reliable, and efficient product that is meant to last forever, this UV-treated, easy to use a weed barrier, you will find it more than just satisfied.
Some of the best features of Dewitt SBLT3300 are listed below. Go through them and know a few of the most talked-about points of Dewitt SBLT3300 and find whether this product is worthy enough or not.
- Easy installation
- Extremely durable fabric that can easily last up to 20 years
- Great length and dimension
In all, Dewitt SBLT3300 is an ideal buy for the hardcore gardeners who are not willing to take any chance that can ruin their garden.
#7. Petgrow Heavy Duty Weed Barrier Landscape
- Weed Control Environment Friendly – Made Of Heavy-Duty Professional Grade Polypropylene Material, durable, sturdy. Eco-friendly preventing unwanted weeds from germinating.Keep your soil health. Doesn't harm the ecosystem of your yard and llowing your plants to thrive
- Premium Weed Barrier Fabric - Heavy Duty Weed blocker fabric is needle-punched to transmit water and air, preserving the soil moisture. Fabric allows air and water through, superior permeability to keep the soil nourished, but still keeps weeds away.
- Erosion Control Efficiency - Weed Blocking Fabric Can Be Quickly Implemented To Contain Materials And Prevent Further Erosion On Your Gardening, Lines Helped To Judge Straightness And Spacing.
- Widely Application: Weed block works great as an underlayer for artificial grass, vegetable patch, flower bed,ground cover, garden, driveways. You Can DIY Cloth Size By yourself Will Not Fray.
Petgrow weed barrier is an ideal choice for the buyers looking for a heavy-duty, reliable and environment-friendly weed barrier for their garden.
Along with the design and durability, there are numerous other things that make the Petgrow weed barrier a perfect buy for the users.
The market UV stabilized fabric is perfect for managing the garden better than the other product with no markings on it.
Also, this helps the buyers to use the exact amount of required weed barrier in the garden. With a brilliant shelf-life, the rest of the product can easily be kept for a long time until the one being used is ready to be replaced.
Some of the great things about the Petgrow Weed Barrier are
- Easy installation
- Thick and more reliable build quality
- Great dimensions
So, if you were looking for a weed barrier that not only provides the garden great protection over the weed but also provides the users with a brilliant performance, the Petgrow Weed barrier is a must-try.
#8. Scotts 25-Year Pro Fabric, 3 by 150-Feet
- Controls weeds without chemicals
- Walkways, patios and retaining wall jobs
- Long term durability
- Reduces soil erosion
- Type - heavy duty
For the buyers who are looking to buy a reliable product that has tins of positive reviews in the bag, the Scotts 25-year weed barrier fabric will be an ideal choice to go with.
Along with the durability and shelf life, there are numerous other things that make it a worthy buy for the home and professional gardens. Some of the points that make the product a great buy for the users are listed below
- Easy installation
- Thick yet lightweight design
- Perfect for walkways and patios
Along with these, there are numerous other reasons to buy this amazingly designed product for the home garden. Try it and explore all the great things about this weed barrier fabric.
#9. FlarmorWeed Barrier Landscape Fabric
- Top seller of weed barrier landscape fabric. Heavy duty black ground cover reduces soil erosion.
- Nonwoven geotextile fabric great for use as an underlayer for artificial grass, garden, driveways.
- Block weed control fabric perfect for vegetable patches, allotments. Great for light gardening.
- Garden barrier fabric easy to be laid under the chippings, stones, and gravel before placement.
- Polypropylene landscape fabric roll 3x300 ft. Order now and get a pair of garden gloves for free.
Flarmor weed barrier fabric is another option for the buyers who are looking forward to buying a heavy-duty fabric weed barrier that is great for weed prevention and soil erosion.
Along with the durability and efficiency, this product has some great things like better strength, easy installation and most importantly some great reviews from the customer who are currently using this in their garden.
Some of the best features that made us include this product in the list of best weed barrier available in the market are
- Thickness and dimensions of the fabric
- Great value for money
So, if you were looking for a weed barrier that efficiently prevents weeds in the garden and lasts for years without much maintenance, this weed barrier from Flarmor will be an ideal buy for you.
#10. SHANS Ground Cover Weed Barrier
- SHANS UV stabilized woven weed fabrics are made from 100% brand new premium polypropylene.
- The newly synthesized polypropylene renders SHANS fabrics stronger and more durable than similar products made from recycled materials. We deliver products with highest quality. To ensure 100% satisfaction, customers are more than welcome to compare the quality of our products with that of other brands on the market.
- SHANS fabrics can be used to hold soils in place and stop weeds from growing. It also serves to keep muds and soils away from pets and children playing in the yard. Low plants, such as strawberries, can also be picked up more easily by using the fabrics to separate the fruits from touching soils.
- SHANS fabrics can be used easily by simply laying it on a pathway, in your garden or greenhouse, keeping away all sticky dirt and mud. SHANS fabrics allow air and water to pass through easily. Therefore, you can simply water your plants from the top. SHANS fabrics won’t cause any water stagnation and dries easily, keeping away insects and mold.
For those buyers who were looking for an environment-friendly, tough and extremely easy to use weed barrier for their home, the SHANS weed barrier will be an ideal buy.
Whether it about the efficiency, fabric quality or usability, you can completely rely on SHANS woven weed barrier.
Some of the best features that grabbed our attention toward the product are
- Woven fabric
- Better durability and a thick layer of the fabric that ensures that your garden is not going to experience any weed growth ever
- Amazing shelf life
So, if you were looking for a great value product that is going to last forever if used correctly, the SHANS weed barrier is the perfect product for you.
These were the ten best weed barriers that you can buy this year. The only thing that you need to do now is to choose the most suitable one from the list and then find the best deal for it.
What the Weed Barriers Actually Are?
The weed barriers, in the simplest possible terms, can be treated as the garden soil covers that prevent the sunlight to directly reach the soil.
As a well-known fact, plants (weeds also) need proper sunlight to grow, and by using the weed barriers, we are just cutting the supply of sunlight to the soil that will eventually prevent the growth of weeds and unwanted vines and grasses.
The best part of using the weed barriers is that it doesn’t affect the growth of other plants and the water can easily penetrate through the barrier that helps the soil to be moist and soft that improves the fertility of the soil.
These simple rolls of fabric or polypropylene or a superior material are the simplest and the easiest ways to avoid weed in your garden.
Advantages of Installing Weed Barriers
Apart from protecting your garden from the weed and other unwanted plant growth, weed barriers also servers many uses that can be considered as the advantages of the weed barriers.
We have listed a few of the most talked-about benefits that you can avail by purchasing a good quality weed barrier for home over the normal weed killers.
Go through them and then decide whether purchasing a weed barrier is a better choice for your garden, or not.
Know more about the Best Weed Killer for Lawns
- A safer choice for the gardeners
- Easy to use and remove
- Doesn’t affect the growth of other plants
- Free for chemicals and other harmful ingredients
In addition to the above-discussed advantages pf choosing the weed barrier in the garden. SO, if you were looking for the perfect value for money, then we will suggest you go with the weed barrier instead of any other way of removing and eliminating weeds effectively.
How to Install a Weed Barrier?
The next big thing that you need to know about the weed barriers is to install them correctly. So, in this section, we are going to talk about the correct way to install this amazingly simple and effective solution to weeds growing in the garden. So, here’s the step-to-step guide for installing the weed barrier in your garden/lawn.
Must read: Best Weed Killers 2019
Step 1: The first step that you need to follow is to choose an ideal weed barrier according to your needs. Whether it is about the size or the material, make sure to choose the most ideal one for yourself.
Step 2: The next step is to prepare the ground for the weed barrier. Make sure that the soil is free of any existing weed and do not any moss that can be enhanced in the absence of sunlight.
Step 3: Open the roll and cut the desired shapes and size of the weed barrier. Make sure the product is free from any defect or hole. Most products come with a guiding line to cut through which improves usability.
Step 4: Cover the soil with the weed barrier, and you are done.
These were the four basic steps of the installation of a weed barrier. And although all brands and types of the weed barriers work in the same way, we will suggest you look for an ideal installation procedure behind the pack of the product.
Different Types of Weed Barriers
In order to get the maximum positive results, it is essential that you choose the right weed barrier for your garden. Yes, you heard it right, the weed barriers are available in different types and they all differ in durability and have a somewhat different level of efficiency.
So, here’s a brief introduction to all major types of weed barriers that you can buy today. Go through them thoroughly and choose the type that suits your needs the most.
Natural weed barriers
Natural weed barriers are amongst the most common and widely used weed barriers for the gardeners. Along with being extremely cost-effective, they are perfect for the home gardens. This barrier is made up of the garden waste like the thick layer of dried out leaves, mulch or the peat moss.
Although they work brilliant to prevent weed in the garden as they are biodegradable, the life of these barriers is not up to the mark and you need to layer it again whenever needed.
Fabric weed barriers
The next popular type of weed barrier is the fabric barriers that are relatively more durable than the natural weed barriers and offer better reliability.
Made up of high-quality fabric like the woven or synthetic geotextile fabric, these weed barriers offer great durability and efficiency.
Plastic weed barriers
Plastic weed barriers are best for the colder regions where the moss is another big issue in the gardens. The plastic weed barriers are also generally darker in their color that makes them great for heat retention that enhances soil fertility and efficiency.
What is the Expected Life of Weed Barriers?
Another important thing that most of the garden owners ask for is the life expectancy of the weed barriers.
Frankly speaking, this depends on the fact that which type of weed barriers you are using in the garden. The normal plastic and fabric barriers usually last for 10-15 years.
However, if you were using mulch or other natural weed barriers then life will depend on the weather conditions and other factors.
Best Weed Barrier 2020: Buying Guide
Once you have gone through the top ten products available in the product, you may get confused that which one of them you should buy for your home. To help you with this, we are providing a brief buyer’s guide that contains the points that will help you choose the best among the great products available in the market.
The first important thing that plays an important role to buy an ideal weed barrier is the type or the material of the weed barrier. Make sure to choose the correct and suitable material that not only is reliable but also provides good prevention from the weed occurrence.
Strength and durability
Another important point to be considered while purchasing the weed barrier is the strength of the barrier. Make sure that the product you are planning to buy is durable enough to last for longer years. You should also look for the UV treatment of the product so that you can be assured about the durability and life of the product.
Ease of installation
Although the installation of the weed barrier is extremely simple and easy, you may have no clue if you are purchasing them for the first time. Make sure that the weed barrier you are buying has the simple installation guidelines that can be followed even for the first-timers.
The next important thing that you should keep in mind while purchasing a new weed barrier is the size or dimension of the role that you are planning to buy.
By doing so, you can easily judge the number of weed barrier roles that you are going to need to cover your garden. So, be sure to check the dimension of the product before finalizing the deal.
So, whenever you are going to purchase the best weed barrier for your garden, then keep the above-listed points in mind and then decide whether your shortlisted product is worthy enough to buy, or not.
Pros and Cons Associated with the Weed Barriers
Although the weed barriers are extremely helpful to avoid the weeds, there are a few positives and negatives things associated that you should before buying them for your home. So, here’s a brief pros and cons section that will help you decide better whether you should rely on the weed barriers or not.
- Easy to use. Great value for money
- Extremely reliable
- Lets the water penetrate so that soil remains moist and fertile
- May not be useful if you are having bigger trees in the garden
- >The Landscape Fabric Weed Barrier Myth
- >Landscape Weed Barrier Fabric. Does it work?
- >Types of Weed Barriers
In all, if you were looking forward to buying a reliable and completely natural way to kill and avoid weed occurrence, the best weed barriers are amongst the best ones for you.
So, if you are a nature lover and aren’t too keen to add chemicals in your garden, then the weed barriers are the best option for you.
Last Updated on