The beauty of your flower garden may please your mind, but the maintenance of the beauty is not at all an easy task. If you have no proper guide about how to keep the beauty of your garden, your all effort will die. There are many factors that may destroy the beauty of your garden. One such factor is a weed. Not only pest may cause harm to your garden or your gardening effort, but weeds also equally responsible to destroy your gardening effort.
Weeds act as a pest in your garden and compete with everything with your garden like water, sunlight, etc. They absorb the vital nutrients that are very essential for plants growth. Not only that weeds are the shelter of many dangerous pests and also spread many diseases which destroy the beauty of your garden beds, lawn, etc. Weeding in your garden is one of the most disgusting, stressful and time-consuming factors of maintaining your lawn.
A significant portion of the time of maintaining the good health of the garden is spent on managing that weeds. Weeds grow very fast than that of a seedling, sucks nutrients of the seedling and thereby weaken them, even may cause the death of that valuable seedling. If you are the owner of a flower garden, it is not possible to kill those weeds manually.
There is a question of how you will control or destroy those unwelcomed and unwanted guests from your flower beds. The only answer is the application of the best weed killers for flower beds. In the market, many brands for weed killers are available but here are a few brands that stand out.
Go through this article to find the best weed killers for flower beds and guess why almost all house owners trust on these products.
Best Weed Killers for Flower Beds Review 2019
#1. Ortho GroundClear Vegetation Killer Concentrate, 2-Gallon
Ortho GroundClear Vegetation Killer Concentrate, 2-Gallon is one of the best weed killers popular worldwide. This type of product is applicable to all types of major weeds and surely be your best choice for killing weeds in your flower garden. Considered this best product by many users, this unparallel product prevents weed growth for about one year.
It provides instant result i.e. wait for several hours after application you will notice its instant result. It works on the post-emergent weed in your beautiful flower garden. When applying this product your flowers beds become healthy as they are not affected by the product. The Ortho GroundClear Vegetation Killer Concentrate, 2-Gallon works on obtrusive weeds Oxalis, St. Augustine, Bermuda grass, among others.
This weed killer works almost all environments and it’s advanced formula works fast and shows the result within 6-7 hours. This is the only product that destroys weed roots as it consists of Glyphosate and Imazapyr and they work together to destroy all kinds of weeds. This is not only used on the flower beds, but it is equally used fences, patios, pavements, sidewalks and other parts of your area where you don’t want to see weed thriving.
If you are a new user don’t worry. You will find detail instructions of the application process on its level. The product has its own cap for sprinkle so that you can use at any time of your choice. You can apply this product around 400 sq. ft area at a time. Its price is quite high but no doubt the product is reliable and used worldwide.
- This product is affordable,
- Easy to use and works very fast,
- Works on the roots of the weeds,
- Works on a wide variety of weeds,
- It’s a highly effective product,
- Versatile use,
- Provides long-lasting results,
- Can also be used on the vegetable and fruit garden without disturbing edibles.
- Within a few hours, it shows a visible result.
- It is used only on the dry soil,
- Quite expensive than other brands,
- The product is not available in California.
#2. Preen Garden Weed Preventer
If you have renovated your flower garden or lawns and wish to kill weeds before growing again, this product is no doubt is perfect. This is another remarkable brand which is safe for flowers or other vegetables. By applying this product you can easily stop germinating of further weeds before they sprout.
To obtain the best results you should apply this product after every three to four months gap. The best advantage of the product is that you can use it without harming your flower plants or vegetables. You can apply the product at any time of the growing season. You may incorporate it in the soil at the time seeding vegetables. You can use it after plants germinating up to 2-3 inches.
- It’s a fast-acting product,
- Never harms flower plants,
- Safe for any plant and vegetable,
- Rain protected i.e. not washed away by rainwater.
- It is used until plants germinate.
- Not suitable to destroy existing weeds.
- Proper timing is needed.
- It may be too strong for garden plants.
3. Natural Weed Killer Made with Ocean Water and Commercial Food Grade Vinegar Pet-Friendly
This is also a noted product and suitable for killing weeds in the flower beds. This herbicide is the best for maintaining good looking weed-free flower beds, garden, and landscape. This product is undoubtedly perfect for landscaping.
The most surprising thing about this product is that it is an ideal product for growing and maintaining an organic flower garden the product is made from ocean water, vinegar, soaps, etc. As it is a natural product it is safe for the environment and causes no harm.
The product shows a very fast result after application and weeds start browning within 12 to 24 hours. No weed will grow the applied area for a long period. The product shows a long-lasting result near about 3-4 years after application. However, this product also has pros and cons.
- It’s an environment-friendly product,
- As for its nature, it is safe for kids as well as pets,
- Provides fast result.
- Long-lasting and sustainable product.
- Create bad-smelling,
- It’s an expensive product.
4. Compare-N-Save Concentrate Grass and Weed Killer
This product is available in concentrated form and suitable weed killer. This works well on all types of annual weeds and perennial weeds. If you wash out the unwanted plants on your flower beds. The use of the product is very much easy. Just mix the product with water and directly spray on weeds that are destroying flower plants.
It is surely a non-sensitive product that does not reach cause any harm on leaves, stems or the roots of the plants that you wish to kill. If you like to control weeds year-long consider this product as it is cost-effective but cover a long area. It is used around fences, landscaping, around the building and passageways. The product works only on growing weeds, not on your loving flower plants.
This product has some positive and negative effects.
- Works also on the large area.
- The high concentration helps you to use less of the product to wash out weeds.
- Instruction is not clear very often,
- Takes time to show the results.
5. Bayer Advanced All-in-One Lawn Weed and Crabgrass Killer Concentrate
This is another powerful product that helps flower beds owner to wash out weeds successfully. It has the power to destroy more than 200 species of weeds not harming any flower plants. This product may be a treasure to store if you have crabgrass infestations or weeds in your garden.
This Weed and Crabgrass Killer also works powerfully in any rainy area as it is totally a rainproof product for near about one hour. This trusted product contains biodegradable ingredients which offer good result. It is totally an eco-friendly product and so safe for kids and pets.
The main drawback of this product is that is it not at all a good alternative for ‘St. Augustine grass’.Sometimes its complex instructions discourage the customers, but if you understand its instruction properly it is one of the powerful and cost-effective product for weed killing. It can, however, destroy weeds over 5000 sq. ft. at a time of your garden or lawn.
- Rainproof product,
- Eco-friendly and safe,
- Easy application,
- Non-irritant formulation.
- Covers a wide area of weeds.
- Instruction is quite complex,
- Not applicable for all grasses,
- Multiple levels of treatment are required.
6. Scotts Turf Builder Weed and Feed Fertilizer
If you are searching for a quality product for killing weeds then think one time of this trusted product. It kills weeds in your beautiful lawn without harming the healthy fertilize level. This product is equally suitable for vegetation.
For dandelions and clovers, this weed and seed fertilizer product is highly effective.
Scotts Turf Builder not only have the weed control capacity, but this weed killer also thickens your garden and crowds out total weeds with its highly recommended fertilizing ingredients. It’s one application is just enough for your lawn.
Application is very simple as it requires no mixing and dilution. It is really very easy to apply, just open the container and spread it over the garden.
- Easy to use,
- Uses weed grip Technology,
- Equally suitable for vegetation,
- Environment-friendly product.
- Not suitable for any type of dry grass.
- More application is required for larger infestations.
7. Scotts Halts Crabgrass & Grassy Weed Preventer
The Scotts Halts Crabgrass & Grassy Weed Preventer is used before the weeds start growing. It is so popular for its advanced ‘weed grip technology’. The bonus point of the product is that it never affects any flower plants. The product is season independent that is you can use this product at any season.
Scotts Halts Weed Preventer not only kills juvenile or hidden weeds, but also kills adult seeds at the same time. The garden owners blindly believe in this product as within a short period of time it shows an excellent and long-lasting result.
If you consider your budget of purchasing the product, you can save a certain amount of money after its purchase. One application of the product can kill weeds of more than 5000sq. ft. area. It can perform in different weather. Snow or heat, rain or dry, Scotts Halts Weed Preventer does not dare to show its performance.
Pendimethalin, one of the most important ingredients, prevents germination of weed seeds from the root within four months. So, if you apply it before four months of flower planting, nature will gift you healthy flower beds.
- Suitable for all seasons,
- Prevents germination of seeds completely,
- Can work on adult weeds,
- Environment-friendly and safe from kids and pets,
- Not too much costly.
- Cause stain your hands and clothes,
- Precautions are necessary.
Important factors you should know before buying any weed killer for your flower beds
What is weed killers:
A weed killer or simply speaking herbicides is a chemical composition used to destroy unwanted plants or weeds from growing. Normally weed killers are made from potent chemicals which might not be a product you want to contaminate plants, particularly fruits, vegetables, etc.
Most common weeds that disturb your landscape or flower beds:
Different kinds of weeds disturb your gardening effort at different seasons. Most of us don’t know them very well and also their nature. Hope, you will get a clear idea here-
- Dandelion: It prefers to grow near the gardens and/or the lawns. It likes shade or sun both to grow. It has broadleaf and a height of approx.12 inches. The strong taproots which are deeply notched.
- Nutsedge: This perennial likes to grow in a moist area of the garden or landscape. The grassy leaves and nut-like tubers help us to identify Nutsedge from others. You can stop its growth just by mulching soil.
- Purslane: It has dark green broad curvy leaf and grows up to 6 inches in dry and sunlight area.During blooming season small yellowish flowers bloom from it.
- Oxalis: It is a perennial type weed with broad and light green leaf and grows around the lawns and gardens, both in a sunny or shady area. Cup-shaped yellowish flowers bloom in the summer.
- Crabgrass: It grows anywhere in a suitable environment. It grows in a large quantity at a time. So, it’s really a challenge to destroy it.
- Bermudagrass: Commonly known as aggressive turf, bermudagrass grows in thick type grass which grows in thick tufts and can easily withstand dry spells and chronic heat of death.
Nature of weeds you want to kill:
It will be wise for you to know what types of weed you want to destroy from your loving flower beds. Although almost all weed killers function are similar, there are certain products also available in the market for a particular type of weeds.
You have to watch which type of weeds (crabgrass, foxtail, spurges, etc.) disturb your flower beds for a single season or they are the perennial type like dandelions, that disturb you throughout the year. You have to select the herbicides or weed killers according to the nature of the seeds.
How To Choose a perfect Weed Killer:
Before buying any weed killer product one question that will ping your mind is which one is the best and cost-effective. Don’t worry-just go to google screen and hit the search button by writing what you want to write about the perfect weed killer you want. You will get ample results. Now consider these things like which one is easy to use, effectiveness, and the safety of the product.
Moreover, as you know all killers are not suitable for every type of weed, so just go through the instructions to verify which one is the best. The size of the lawn or flower beds, types of plants you want to grow and how often you will maintain your beds will also be taken into consideration before buying the product.
Now, you are ready to select the best brand of weed killer that will be suitable for your flower beds maintenance needs, and also under your budget.
Types of weed killers: According to the nature of the weeds, there are multiple types of weed killers available in the market. Some of these well-known products are-
- Residual Weed Killer:
It works by poisoning the applied soil and killing the plants on that area. It stops the germination of seeds and photosynthesis process for months or even years. You should not use the product in that area where the edible plants grow.
It is most suitable along the path or along the pavement. But you should use the product with caution, must keep away from kids and pets. Special care should be taken when using near shrubs and or lawn.
- Contact weed killers:
If you think that some beautiful dandelion or similar plants that consume spaces of your loving garden or suck nutrients from your flower beds plants, then contact weed killers may be the right choice for you. Contact weedkillers only eliminate weeds that come in contact with the valuable plants. It works very fast and in an effective way.
Contact weed killers are available in two forms-
- Sensitive weed killer: It kills a particular type of plants or weeds. If you apply in your entire flower bed, it will only kill the weeds or plants that it will able to control.
- Non-sensitive weed killers: It kills everything that comes to its contact. The function of this type of weed killer is just opposite to the first one i.e. when selective weed killer kills the selective weed or plants, the non-sensitive weed killer kills everything which comes into its contact.
If you choose any one of these two types a serious safety measure is required. Spraying in windy weather may be dangerous.
- Systemic weed killer:
This type of weed killer is transported to the plants through their roots and gradually destroys the transportation system, lower the amount of protein, down the chlorophyll level, stops plants growth and thereby kills the plants.
Systemic weed killer takes longer time to eliminate weeds totally. This weed killer is ideal for cleaning up lawns as the product does not destroy the grass. As it works only on the plant roots, it does not create any poison to the soil.
Which season is ideal for use:
As the weather is a factor for the application of the weed killers, so when purchasing any weed killer product weather should also be considered. Certain weed killers function only in a specific season. So, when buying the product must read the label of instruction on the container about when and how should the product will be used.
Effectiveness of the product:
When you are ready to buy any weed killer product, effectiveness is a vital question. There is a solution to this question. Go to google search, type the product name in the search box and when the product will display read the customer reviews, this will help you a lot to choose the best weed killers of 2019 . Also, read the label to know about the ingredients used.
Coverage area is also a factor for the application of the product. If you wish to kill a small area, ‘ready-to-use’ weed killer is enough for you. Though this type of product is much expensive, it is available in a small amount. It will save your money no doubt and there will be no wastage of the product.
But if you wish to control a wide area concentrated product is suitable for you as it is then economical. This type of product needs some preparation before application. What may be the case first consider the coverage area before buying the product. It will save your money and will no need to store the excess amount. This excess amount may be harmful to kids or pets.
The security issue of the product:
When you work with the weed killers, you will certainly work with the chemicals which may be harmful to your health. So, the safety of your health is a matter. Avoid those products which contain irritants. Use only the organic products which are environment-friendly.
Though some products use various chemicals, the manufacturers demand their products are safe for handling, you should use them with proper care.
Even if you prefer selective weed killers, applying chemicals to your lawn can cause stress on your plants and grass, mentioning other strainers such as other spores, promoting them and having soil around their roots, not enough water and changing the weather.
You can minimize your stress by following these simple steps-
- Don’t use weed killers when they are too hot,
- Don’t apply to young plants,
- Don’t apply heavy concentrated killers,
- If you guess rain may come to stop applying the herbicides as it remains in the leafage at least 24 hours to penetrate into the roots.
Nature of weed killers:
Nature of weed killers available in the market may have under different forms and conditions. These are the most common forms-
- Granules form: Weed killers may be available in granules form which is ideal for large lawn or flowerbeds. You should apply them directly into the soil and water them regularly after applying.
- Concentrated form: Weed killers are also available in concentrated form also. You have to add water before application and make it liquid and spray the solution to kill the seeds or plants.
- Ready-to-use form: If you are a busy person and have no much time in your hand, then this is an ideal product for you. It is a quick and ready-made solution which shorten your time and safe for use.
Ingredients used for preparation:
If you have proper knowledge about the product you are going to buy, there is less possibility of cheating from retailers. Hope, this article will help you a lot when you are a customer of any weed killer product.
Generally, different weed killers use different ingredients. To choose the right products, it is necessary to find out the ingredients used. Here is a chart especially for you-
- GLYPHOSATE: This is the most common agrochemical widely used in almost all weed killers.
- BORIC ACID, BORATES, AND BORAX: All these chemicals are common and well-known almost all of us. Almost all leading manufacturers use them for DIY.
- CORN GLUTEN MEAL: It is generally used for less aggressive weed killers. It is ideal for light application.
- CLOPYRALID: This ingredient is used mainly for getting rid of wide leaved weeds.
- DIURON: This heavy-dutyingredient needs careful supervision.
- NATURAL: Viniger and soap are usedas an eco-friendlyingredient that causes less harm to the health of the users.
Primary methods of chemical treatment:
Mainly two primary methods deal with weeds. They are basically-
- Pre-emergent weed killers:
If you wish to deal with the problematic weeds then this one is perfect for your use. This one has a protective barrier that prevents weeds from further sprouting.
The most plus point of this killer is that it prevents germinating seeds of the weed and if the sprouts come out pre-emergent weed killers stop their growth. This product is ideal for killing weeds of the fences, edges of the path and other similar areas.
- Post-emergent weed killers:
If you find weeds have already germinated and destroyed the ground, then this is your perfect choice. No need to hand pluck of the weeds, just apply it and watch the result. This weed killer is used at regular interval throughout the germinating season of the weeds.
Try alternative methods:
Alternative control means manual control of weeds or application of some homemade process that is equally useful for weed killing. Generally speaking, manual control refers to removing unwanted grasses from the flower beds by hands.
It is no doubt an environment-friendly method to the garden lovers who do not want to destroy the health of the garden as well as the environment. They do not want to incur any cost to purchase any herbicides.
Apart from this manual method, you may also use some alternative methods for weed killing. Some of the most common alternative methods are here-
- Boiling Water: Boil water is one of the best alternative methods that shows the quick and best result. This is alone is sufficient to kill and scald weeds. If you fear to use boiling water, you may use hot water instead.
- Vinegar: Another common home-made weed killer comes in this list is vinegar. A combination of liquid dish wash and vinegar works well to wash out weeds from your flower beds.
Controlling of weeds in your lawn or flower beds is an easy task with regular use of the specialized product. Weed killers weaken the growth of the weeds and thus destroy totally offering a healthy environment in your garden. But with so many products available in the market it is not an easy task to find the best one.
This in-depth discussion about the best weed killers will help you to choose a hassle-free way. Along with this buying guide, it is easy to identify the perfect product which will give best result that eager to see.